Pages

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

News and notes about the Bulldogs

• The Bulldogs will be back in action Monday at Athens Country Club in the Southern Intercollegiate Championship. Georgia has won the tournament each of the last two seasons and Greyson Sigg claimed medalist honors last year.

The SICs were the brainchild of Georgia athletic director Herman Stegeman and Athens Country Club founder Lon Dudley in 1934. The first tournament was held in 1935 and ran annually through 1942. It resumed in 1946 and was held through 1965, then was relaunched in 1975 and ran through 1990. Past individual medalists include Wake Forest’s Arnold Palmer in 1950, Oklahoma State’s Bob Tway in 1979 and Centenary’s Hal Sutton in 1980.

• A staggering nine Bulldogs will be in the field for this week's Valspar Championship in Palm Harbor, Fla.: Harris English, Brian Harman, Russell Henley, Chris Kirk, Lee McCoy, Keith Mitchell, Hudson Swafford, Brendon Todd and Bubba Watson.

Todd won the Monday qualifier at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville, Fla., while Mitchell won a 5-for-1 playoff for the final spot. Mitchell will be making his PGA Tour debut. Read more about Mitchell here.

McCoy had a memorable run at Innisbrook last year, coming in fourth as an amateur. He has been sidelined by a broken wrist sustained in a car accident in November, but he says the wrist is “absolutely, unequivocally 100 percent.” Said McCoy, “I’m back on my home course. I’m surrounded my family and friends. I get to sleep in my own bed that I grew up in. I just have to try to enjoy the week. It’s not really worth it to put any pressure on myself because all I did last year was come out and have fun, have a great time, and everything worked out.”