|Mookie DeMoss snared the final spot at a U.S. Amateur qualifier at Great Waters.|
Rising senior Mookie DeMoss, rising junior Lee McCoy and incoming freshman Zach Healy and former Bulldogs Butler Melnyk and Keith Mitchell have qualified for the U.S. Am, which will be held Aug. 11-17 at the Atlanta Athletic Club's Highlands Course in John's Creek.
Melnyk (St. Simons), Mitchell (Cleveland, Tenn.) and McCoy (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) won their qualifying tournaments, while Healy came in third in Peachtree Corners and DeMoss placed fifth in Eatonton.
Vinny Giles is the only Bulldog to win the U.S. Am, accomplishing the feat in 1972.
• The PGA Tour is north of the border this week with the RBC Canadian Open in Quebec. Kevin Kisner, Erik Compton, Ryuji Imada and Hudson Swafford are in the field.
• In the British Open last week, Chris Kirk was the top Bulldog as he came in 19th at 6-under. Brian Harman was 26th at 4-under and Brendon Todd was 39th at 1-under. Bubba Watson, Compton, Russell Henley, Harris English and Bryden Macpherson missed the cut.
• Watson is No. 2 in the FedExCup Standings, followed by No. 6 Kirk, No. 7 Todd, No. 12 English and No. 19 Harman.
• The Bulldogs continue to dominate the Rivals Cup with more than $20 million in earnings. Georgia Tech ranks No. 2 with $9.5 million. Watson has eclipsed $5 million, while Todd has $3 million, Kirk has $2.9 million, English has $2.8 million, Harman has $2.4 million, and Henley and Compton have $1.6 million each.
• The Web.com Tour stop this week is the Midwest Classic in Overland Park, Kansas. Scott Parel, Paul Claxton, Joey Garber and Justin Bolli are slated to participate.
• In the Albertsons Boise Open last week, Garber placed 10th at 16-under. Parel, Bolli, Imada and Claxton missed the cut. Garber was a Monday qualifier and led the field in fairways hit (43 of 56).
• DeMoss, Nicholas Reach, Sam Straka and Coach Jim Douglas recently filmed a segment for WSB Channel 2 out of Atlanta that will air this week. The Bulldogs shared how fishing in the lake adjacent to Nos. 12 and 13 helps them relax and strengthen team chemistry. The show will air at 10 a.m. Saturday or can be seen online.
• Reach has been chosen as a Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholar by the Golf Coaches Association of America. Previous Georgia honorees include Bob Wolcott, Louis Brown, Matt Peterson, Neal Hendee, Mark Northey, Ryan Hybl, David Denham, Kisner, Todd, Harman and English.
• The Bulldogs will join their football counterparts in competition at the end of next month. The golfers are slated to play Aug. 30-Sept. 1 in the Carmel Cup in Pebble Beach, Calif. That is the earliest start for Georgia's golfers in recent history. The Bulldogs will have a total of five fall events, including one in Hawaii in November.
• After Rory McIlroy won the Open Championship, he was asked about next year's Masters, where he'll have a chance to complete a career Grand Slam. And in part of his answer, McIlroy singled out Augusta National member -- and former Bulldog -- Jeff Knox. Read what he had to say here.