Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Watson Stands Fourth With One Round To Go


RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil --- Former Georgia All-American Bubba Watson climbed into medal contention during the third round of men’s golf at the Olympics on Saturday.
Watson, a Bulldog in 2000 and 2001, fired a 4-under 71 on Saturday to move to 6-under 207 for the Games. With one round remaining Sunday, Great Britain’s Justin Rose is first at 12-under 201, followed by Sweden’s Henrick

Golf is being contested at the Olympics for the first time since 1904. As with all of the events at the Olympics, medals will be awarded to the top three finishers on Sunday.
Stenson at 11-under 202 and Australia’s Marcus Fraser at 9-under 204.
Watson birdied four of his first five holes on Saturday and added another birdie on No. 10 to move to 5-under for his round. He closed with bogeys on Nos. 14 and 15 and a birdie on the 17th.
Watson described his bogey on No. 14 as “hilarious” and “a freak thing” after he putted a 35-foot try just a couple of feet.
“I fixed my ball mark, walked around the hole, looked at my book and took a couple of practice strokes,” Watson said. “When I got over it, some mud came off the putter. I thought it was a bee or something, so I tried to stop the stroke, but I didn’t stop it quick enough. I knew the line so I went up and hit it again.
“It was one of those freak things you have to laugh off and keep going. That will be talked about for years. … What can you do? You just keep going. Hey, I’m at the Olympics. First or dead last or no matter what, I’m an Olympian and this is an amazing feeling.”
Watson trailed by 10 after the first round and by eight after the second.

Laughing off the duffed putt, Watson said he planning to watch Olympic badminton on Saturday evening.

“This is a dream of a lifetime,” he said. “I'm hanging with the athletes. I mean, golf just gets in my way. I want to go watch the other sports. Go hang in the cafeteria and try to meet other athletes and feel like I'm a superstar like them. I'm giddy when I see other athletes that I know, like Michael Phelps. What a thrill and an honor. When you see these people winning gold medals and their dedication, their drive and their focus, I mean, it's impressive.”