Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

English Picks Up Second PGA TOUR Title

Harris English holds his trophy after winning the OHL Classic at Mayacoba.
Harris English won the rain-delayed OHL Classic for his second PGA TOUR title, pulling away for a four-stroke victory in a 29-hole Sunday finish at Mayakoba.

The former Georgia standout closed with a 6-under 65 after completing the third round in the morning with a 68. He moved into contention Saturday morning in the second round, matching the lowest round of his tour career with a 62.

"I guess I found something in my swing — a little swing key that helping me out," English said. "I hit the ball really well all week. It got a little windy the first two days and I struggled a bit with my driver, but I found it down the stretch."

The 24-year-old finished at 21-under 263. He won the FedEx St. Jude Classic in June in Tennessee for his first PGA TOUR victory.

"I was a lot more comfortable out there than I was a Memphis," English said. "First time in Mexico and it will be a memory."

Brian Stuard shot a 67 to finish second.

More than 4½ inches of rain hit the course from Wednesday to Friday. Because of the wet conditions, players were allowed to use preferred lies.