Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Compton Breaks Into Top 10 For First Time

Erik Compton came in fourth in the PGA TOUR's Honda Classic on Sunday.

Erik Compton notched his first top-10 finish in a PGA TOUR event on Sunday.

Compton came in fourth, six strokes behind winner Michael Thompson, in the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Compton's previous best effort was 13th in the 2012 John Deere Classic.

Compton earned $226,200 -- a figure that would have been higher had he not bogeyed the final hole. But the 33-year-old, two-time heart transplant recipient was in a good mood when ESPN.com's golf writers caught up with him.

"I know I spent some money on 18 (and) I'm sure I'll hear that from my dad," Compton said. "I'm proud of the way I played regardless of the score. I played well enough to win this week. I just have to move forward. ... It's hard for me to get too sentimental about it, because I've turned the corner on my story and I really want to be one of the top 50 players in the world and I have the game to do it."

Russell Henley came in 13th at 1-under, while Chris Kirk was 51st at 7-over. Harris English and Brian Harman missed the cut.

In the Web.com Tour's Colombia Championship, Hudson Swafford came in 44th at 1-under and Paul Claxton was 49th at 2-over. Kevin Kisner, Richard Scott, Scott Parel and Bryden Macpherson missed the cut.

Next up will be the PGA TOUR's World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship and Puerto Rico Classic and the Web.com Tour's Chile Classic, all later this week.

(Please continue to help us get the word out about the Web.com Tour's Stadion Classic at UGA April 29-May 5. Two current Bulldogs will get spots in the field and there should be several former Bulldogs playing that week as well.)