Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Erik Compton and Freshman Lee McCoay

Former Bulldog Erik Compton Receives Zaharias Award



Compton, a two-time heart transplant recipient, was selected for the Mildred "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias Courage Award by the United States Sports Academy. The award is given to a person who shows courage in overcoming adversity to excel in sport.
Zaharias, among the greatest ever in LPGA Tour history, won her 10th and final major one month after surgery for colon cancer in 1953.
"She did something that I've never dream of doing — winning a major," Compton said. "I guess I have dreamed, but it just hasn't come true yet."
Compton received his first heart transplant at age 12. After his playing days at Georgia, Compton was selected to compete on the Walker Cup team in 2001. He had a major heart attack in 2008, drove himself to the hospital and was fortunate to survive before getting a second heart transplant.
Along with playing a full schedule of 25 tournaments on The PGA Tour this season, Compton has been on a campaign to raise awareness for organ donations through "Donate Life" and a program called "Play Through with Erik Compton."
"Being able to do the hospital, being able to educate the local communities, even being able to speak to some of the doctors and the patients, it's just been a great year," Compton said. "I feel that my calling off the golf course will continue to grow even after my playing days are done. So you know, it started with the two lives that I have. On and off the golf course it's very comforting and I feel very confident of what I've done and what I'm able to do as a person."

Spotlight on Freshman Lee McCoy

 
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/111512aab.html