Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

PGATour.com Article on Bubba Watson

The following article was featured on PGATour.com's, The Tour Report
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — He may have won the Farmers Insurance Open on Sunday, but it’s been business as usual for Bubba Watson this week.
After the trophy ceremony and a steady progression of interviews, Watson packed up the car and embarked on the five-and-a-half-hour drive from San Diego to Scottsdale. He and his wife Angie have a home here, which they are sharing this week with Rickie Fowler.
Live Report Image
Watson
Watson spent Monday at Ping headquarters in Phoenix. He hit balls on the range there, checked out some of his sponsor’s new products and re-gripped his putter. On Tuesday, Watson and his caddie played 18 holes with some of his friends at the Estancia Club on the northern slopes of Pinnacle Peak.
And then Watson got up on Wednesday and went to TPC Scottsdale for the first time all week only to find the pro-am canceled. Not to worry, though. Watson is just glad to be home.
"Just doing the same thing I’ve always done, don’t change it up," he said. "I’ll usually take Monday and Tuesday just for myself when I come to this tournament just to hang out and hang with my wife, and Rickie Fowler is staying at my house, so we goofed around with him a little bit. So just treating it like every day.  I missed the cut at Bob Hope and then won the next week. Life goes on, you know.
"But yeah, it’s been a lot of calls, a lot of fun stuff, a lot of opportunities out there. But just trying to take it easy and be the same old Bubba from Bagdad."
Much was made Sunday of the normally hyper Watson’s calm demeanor on the course and the way he stayed strong with the likes of Phil Mickelson, among others, chasing him. But the 32-year-old doesn’t see his second PGA TOUR victory as any kind of validation.
"The truth is I don’t see my life or my career based on how many wins I get," Watson said. "The media puts that role on you. I do it for a living.  I love the game of golf.  I’m playing golf all the time. I hate taking a day off. …
"So for me to win my second time, first time or never, it wasn’t going to make me a better person or a worse person. It’s fun to win. My trophy case has two in there now, two big ones in there now. So yeah, it’s going to be great. It fills it up. I’ve got one more than my wife now with all her club championship trophies.
“It’s great to win, it’s great to win again. That’s my goal every week is to win. Now hopefully win this week and win next week and win the week after, just keep winning, but that’s not going to make me a better person or a worse person if I don’t win."